Avro Lancaster above clouds BW version
Skimming the tops ... an RAF Avro Lancaster bomber making its solitary way through sunlit billowing clouds. The aircraft depicted is LM227 UL-I2 "Item" of 576 Squadron based at RAF Elsham Wolds in Lincolnshire, returning from an operation to Calais on the morning of 27 September 1944. It carries 41 bomb symbols from previous operations and the "stars" artwork created by engine fitter Norman Bryan at the behest of its first skipper in July, "Mike" Stedman.
This aircraft was typical of the thousands that were built during the Second World War, except that it was one of only 35 that flew a total of 100 operations or more. It was finally retired from RAF use in October 1945.
This was the first trip for its new regular crew:
Pilot: F/O Derek Till
Flight engineer: Sgt Derek Holland
Bomb aimer: F/O John Shorthouse
Navigator: F/O Charles Bray
Wireless operator: F/O Geoff Griggs RAAF
Mid-upper gunner: Sgt Kevin Oliver
Rear gunner: Sgt Bob Hamilton