The Vickers Wellington twin-engined medium bomber, nicknamed the "Wimpy", was the only aircraft of its type to be used throughout the Second World War, albeit replaced as a front line strike weapon by the four-engined 'heavies' during 1943. It featured a clever geodesic framework designed by Barnes Wallis of later "bouncing bomb" fame.
This picture depicts B Mark III Wellingtons of No 75 (NZ) Squadron RAF. The Royal New Zealand Air Force started training on Vickers Wellingtons with the RAF in 1939 and when war broke out, loaned both aircraft and aircrew to the UK. In April 1940 they were officially formed into No 75 Squadron. The lead aircraft, X3667, was lost in April 1942 when it was brought down in the sea off Le Havre.